I wanted to do a Father's Day post for my dad. I believe most of you that read this blog know that my dad passed away unexpectedly on October 11, 2002, 1 week before my birthday. To this day, that was the worst day of my life. Not getting to say goodbye to my Dad was extremely hard, and I know my brother and sister feel the same way.
I believe I have a lot of my dad's qualities in me and I know some of those qualities have been passed down to Parker. My Dad was awesome and everyone got along with him. He had such a dry sense of humor and he always "told it like it was." He was definitely not one to sugar-coat anything - hah!
Dad enjoyed being at my softball games through all the years that I played, even into my college days. It was always so nice to see him there - that meant so much. He was a pitcher, just like me, so he always had some constructive criticism to give me after each game - hah! I have many fond memories of my Dad being there for me at my games.
My Dad was there for me at my graduation from Tech in 2001. That was a great day and I still remember walking into the arena and somehow, among all the people there, I saw him sitting there waving his hands at me and looking so proud! I will never, ever forget that!
After my college graduation, my dad and I took a trip to Virginia together to see my sister. This was a very memorable trip because it was the last trip we took together. I enjoyed this trip a lot, because my Dad and I had never taken such a long trip together. It was great just being able to be with my Dad. ![]()
My Dad was a wonderful grandpa to my brother and sister's kids and I know he would have enjoyed spoiling Parker. Parker is a lot like my dad in many ways and it breaks my heart that Parker will never know Grandpa Henry. It's also sad to think of all the things my Dad has missed out on so far, and all the wonderful things he'll miss in the years to come. ![]()
We make sure to visit Grandpa Henry when we visit my mom in Tennessee. We only get back there about once a year, but I do my best to visit my Dad, because I feel I can get "close" to him there. I also believe it's extremely important for Parker to "see" where Grandpa Henry is and to "get to know him."![]()
It's still so hard to believe that my Dad isn't here with us, even 8 years later. Every time we drive up to the cemetery, it's like I'm in a dream and I can't wake up. When I walk up to his military stone, it's like I'm in a fog. I just hope my Dad knew how much I loved him and how much he meant to me. He will always be the best Dad ever! Happy Father's Day Dad! I love you!
For those of you that still have your father around . . . call him, hug him, spend time with him, tell him you love him. Cherish your moments with him because you never know when it will be your last. My motto is at the top of this blog, because of my Dad . . . "Live like there is no tomorrow."







2 comments:
Such a good post! I enjoyed reading it and getting to know your dad through this post. I know this is a hard day for you. Thanks for sharing your story....it is a wake up call that you never know when your last day will be so you should live every day to the fullest! Hugs to you this father's day! :)
Such a good post! I enjoyed reading it and getting to know your dad through this post. I know this is a hard day for you. Thanks for sharing your story....it is a wake up call that you never know when your last day will be so you should live every day to the fullest! Hugs to you this father's day! :)
Post a Comment