Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad!


Happy 65th Birthday to my Dad!  It's hard to believe it will be 9 years this October that he's been gone.  There isn't a day goes by that I don't think of him and all the wonderful memories we shared together.

My dad was born on July 20, 1946, so every July is bittersweet for me.  I remember sending him birthday cards and they were always the funny kind.  He even saved those cards and I have a few of them now.  This is a picture of my dad when he was a young boy.  If you ask me, he looks like a little pistol - hah! 

Dad enjoyed coming to my softball games throughout the years.  He always had some constructive "advice" for me after each game - hah!  This was senior day - my last college home game.  So glad he was able to be there!

My dad and I at my graduation at Tech in 2001.  I think he was probably most proud of me on this day.  I still remember walking into the "Hoop," our basketball arena, and among the thousands of people that were there - I was able to spot my dad waving at me.  I still remember his big, goofy smile and him waving his arms in the air trying to get my attention - hah!  The only thing he didn't have was a sign!  However, I'm sure if he had thought about it, he would have had one - hah!














Each year, we go to visit my dad's grave.  I feel this is not only important for me, but also for Parker, so I can share my dad with him the best that I can.
 
It's so peaceful going to the cemetery where my dad is.  He is buried on a plot of land that is surrounded by a lake on 3 sides.  This cemetery is also the resting place of many of his family members (his mom and dad, his grandpa and grandma, his sister, several siblings that passed away as young babies, aunts, uncles and cousins).  The cemetery is less than a mile from the home my dad grew up and lived in until he passed in 2002.





Happy Birthday Dad!  I love you and miss you every day!

No comments: