Monday, September 21, 2009

Floods and a Snapping Turtle!


We have been experiencing some unbelievable rains within the past 24 hours. We've had almost 10", but some other parts of the area have had 15" or more. It's one of the most unbelievable things Brad and I, and most other Atlantan's have ever experienced. A lot of schools are closed for the next few days; roads and bridges are closed; even the interstate that heads north to our house was shut down today. They showed a picture of the interstate on the news and it looked like a river was on top of the interstate. The only word I can use to describe the flooding is "Unbelievable!" We got some video because some of these pictures just don't do justice.

This is our new river in our backyard. In the very back of the picture, where the tree line is, that is actually the creek - it spilled over onto our land and there were mini white rapids raging in the back. Cool, but kindof scary at the same time.


This is where the creek started to rise in our neighbors backyard. You can see it's about 2-3 feet from covering the road.

Holy Snapping Turtle!!!
Last week I was sitting in my office at home and looked out the window and saw this huge turtle walking across our neighbors yard, cross the road, and come into our yard. I thought, "Oh, how cool - a big turtle." I watched the turtle walk further into our yard, then I lost site of him. I went to get my camera because I wanted to get a picture of him. When I opened our front door - there he was!! He was walking straight toward our front door! It was only then, that I realized this wasn't just a big turtle - this was a big, snapping turtle!
I walked carefully around him and bent down, zoomed in and got some great pics!
I let Jake out, to see what he would do. I think Jake was definitely more cautious than I was. He stood on the edge of the porch and didn't go much further. Luckily Sam (that's what I named the turtle) didn't feel like snapping at either one of us!
Isn't he just so cool??!! Look at his claws - WOW!

Sam decided he'd had enough and walked on his merry way. I don't really know where he ended up going. Hopefully he went down the side of our house to the creek.

No comments: