Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Tribute to my Dad


Today, October 11, 2008, is the 6th anniversary of my Dad's passing. My dad passed away 1 week before my birthday, so every October is bittersweet for me. There has been several things he has "missed," (me getting married, moving into a new house twice, missing out on his granddog Jake, me getting a new job, and the birth of his grandson), but I know he was watching down from heaven and "was there" through them all. Every year, I miss my Dad more and more. People say time makes it easier, but I have found that it's harder. I think about all the things he has missed out on in 6 years, not only with me, but with my brother and sister as well, and it just makes me so sad. There are so many people that loved him and cared about him and he is still truly missed to this day. I don't think I'll ever be the same person without Dad around. I miss talking with him, hearing his laugh and his quirky sayings, hugging him, and just being around him. I know he would have loved Jake and Parker and he would have been a great grandpa to both of them! It makes me sad because Parker will grow up with only 1 grandpa (Brad's dad). Don't get me wrong, I am so thankful for that, however, I know how special grandparents are and I loved being around my grandparents. I just wish Parker would be able to have the same experience I did when I was growing up. I cannot wait until Parker gets a little older so I can share all the wonderful things about my Dad with him. I know Dad is looking down on us right now and holding us close to him. He is our guardian angel and I know I will see him again one day. I love you Dad!!


Me and Dad at one of my softball games at Tech. He came to just about every one of my games from when I began playing at age 5 all the way through college. I remember one game at Tech, he was standing behind the plate and he was motioning for me to throw the ball up high to the batter. I remember looking at him and making some sort of gesture to be quiet. He usually was pretty quiet during the games, but always talked to me about the game afterward. I believe he enjoyed coming and watching me play. I know he also liked talking and hanging out with the Dad's from our teams.


Me and Dad at graduation at TN Tech in May 2001. I was so glad he was able to be there for this. I remember walking out of the tunnel in the "Hoop" and looking around for my family. The "Hoop" (basketball arena) was packed, but somehow I was able to find Dad sitting close to the front. I remember him waving this funny little wave and he was smiling. I will never forget that look on his face. If only I had known at that time the limited time I would have with him, there would have been so much more I would have said and done.

My advice to all my dear friends out there - if your Dad is still living, please tell him you love him. Don't let another day go by without doing that. Show him how much you care about him because when he's gone - you will never be able to get that time back. I am so glad Dad and I had a great relationship, especially towards the "end." I can take comfort knowing that Dad loved me very much and he knew I loved him even more!

No comments: