Monday, February 9, 2009

What's Parker doing at 5 months?


There have been a lot of "little" things going on with Parker during these last few weeks. Every day he seems to grow more and understand "life" a little better. It's amazing to watch how he explores everything and it just makes you wonder what's going on inside that little brain of his!


One of Parker's quirks right now is his mouth. He will pooch out his lips, then tuck his bottom lip under, then pooches and tucks. He will do this several times and it is pretty funny. So, of course, I do it and sometimes he imitates back.


Sunday was an absolutely beautiful weather day - especially for February, so we all went for a walk around our neighborhood. Parker enjoyed it and was looking all around at the sky, birds, and trees. This walk was a little milestone for him because he actually got to sit up more in the stroller. The times before, he's had to lay down because he couldn't support his head, but now he's a "big boy" and does really well supporting his head by himself. He's gotten better at this, just in the past week. We still have to have our hands close to his neck, but he's so much better at holding and supporting his head on his own now.
Parker loves being read to. He will sit with Brad and smile, kick and stare at the book while he reads to him. I can tell he really enjoys this. I also read to him every night before he goes to bed. He likes this time because I read quietly to him and he usually falls asleep right at the end of the story.
We also purchased a reading DVD set for him to help him learn to read as well. He watches this 20-minute DVD everyday and he's been doing this since January. You show your baby a new DVD each month. He LOVES it! He now smiles and kicks when he sees familiar words. I think the DVD is awesome. It will show the word on the screen, says the word twice, then shows an action picture of that word. There are also word cards that you can print off and show them to him as well. We'll do that and do the actions with Parker. He can definitely recognize the word, he can't do the action or say anything yet, but you can tell he recognizes the word. It's really neat to watch Parker learn!


This video is Parker's 1st time rolling over. He did this around mid-January and can roll to one side now with ease. For his nap in the morning, he sleeps on his stomach and sometimes he plays a game with me. I will lay him down, he'll lay there for a few seconds, I start to get up, then he'll roll over. I'll bend down, roll him back on his stomach, get up, then he'll roll back over. He has done this a couple of times. It is pretty funny! Now, when I lay him on his stomach for a nap - he just goes right to sleep.
Parker has gotten into a nice routine at this point. His day consists of going to sleep by 6:30pm and he'll sleep until 4:30am. He sleeps in his own room in his crib and he's been doing that since he was about 2 months! He'll drink his bottle around 4:45am, then go back to sleep within an hour, and sleep until 8am. I usually let him lay in his crib for about 30 minutes, just to have some alone time and some quiet time before I get him up. He then gets up, eats his baby oatmeal cereal and his bottle. Then, we'll watch our reading video, and after the video is over, he will take about a 3 hour nap. He wakes up between 12-1:30pm, eats his lunch and bottle, then plays in his bouncer or jungle gym and usually takes a 30min.-1hour nap around 3pm. Then, he eats his dinner around 5pm and back asleep by 6:30pm. He's been following this routine for the past week or so and it's been really nice.
Parker is also enjoying his baby food. We have mastered sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots and now we are working on green peas. I think we'll try squash next. I've been holding off on the fruit for now, but have applesauce, pears and bananas ready for him when we get to that point. I've also been thinking about making homemade baby food - instead of buying baby food in the store. I did some research and found a good baby food website on this, so if I do it, I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: